In an ever-changing landscape with its combination of green valleys, volcanic rock formations, chestnut trees in places and of course its magnificent mountains (Puy Griou, Puy de l’Elancèze, Puy Mary, Plomb du Cantal, Puy du Peyre Arse, Puy Violent, Puy Gros, to name but a few), you will be spolit for choice as to where to go out hiking. Don’t forget that our area is in the heart of the largest volcano in Europe and one that is perfectly suited to being explored on foot by both casual and more experienced walkers.
A wide choice of walks and day hikes adapted to your needs
Go hiking in the company of one of our qualified mountain guides or plan your hike with the help of our detailled leaflets for walkers. The choice is yours and we are on hand to offer help and ideas.
On your walks you will discover:
- Over 2000 different species of plants and flowers including gentians, anemones, drosera and aconites to name just a few.
- All sorts of wildlife on the massif (chamois, mountain sheep and marmots) and in the woodland (wild boar, roe deer and stags).
- A large variety of bird life passing through or nesting in the area including birds of prey such as Red Kites and Buzzards.
Your hiking package is tailor-made and if you wish, we can also build in excursions so that you can discover some of the heritage sites in Auvergne such as the medieval village of Salers and the town of Conques or Saint-Flour.
The Family-Hôtel at your service!
- Comfortable lounges for your group to get together and share your experiences
- 8-seater minibus for use (subject to availability)
- Preparation of picnics for day excursions and cool boxes
- Detailled walking routes and lots of ideas and suggestions for walks and days out
- Indoor heated swimming pool (and an outdoor heated pool open in the Summer), jacuzzi and comfortable areas where you can relax … perfect to unwind at the end of a busy day out exploring!
If you’re looking for something a bit different …
Nothing is too much trouble. We can even arrange out-of-the-ordinary activities if you’re looking for an experience with a difference!
- Enjoy an evening meal and an overnight stay in a mountain refuge
- Head out on a night-time walk and a meal in a mountain farm
- Go stargazing with an astronomist